Pages


Friday, January 24, 2014

Dinner At Durrat's

A couple of weeks ago I finally got up the courage to go off compound in the evening and agreed to go out to dinner. It helped that we were going out at 4:00 pm, so it was still bright and sunny outside and the traffic hadn't had time to get revved up to full blown mayhem!

We were taken to a well known Chinese Food restaurant by one of Steven's co-workers. It was clean and very nice inside, but the I was pleased with the next surprise.

We were taken up a flight of marble stairs, (almost all stairs I've encountered in Saudi are made of marble!) and led to a series of doors. Inside the first was a little private room. This was the family section, where women can eat in seclusion without fear of being seen by "stranger" men. This enables them to  remove their hijab (scarf) and even veil if they want. (I promptly removed my scarf!)



Before the server comes in, they always knock and wait for permission to enter to give women time to prepare if needed.

The food was typical Chinese fare, not exactly like American Chinese as we know it, but close. 
It was nice to get out, a thoroughly enjoyable experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi world! I'd love to hear your feedback. I ask you to make your comments thoughtfully. Thanks!