Pages


Saturday, January 18, 2014

Visiting the Asdaf Mall




Today we visited the Asdaf Mall, referred to as the Souk Mall here due to its proximity to the Souks, (like a bazzar). We got there before 0930, and had time to walk around looking in store windows before most of the stores opened.
In spite of the fact that all women in Saudi must wear abayas, (a long robe-like dress, mainly in black) many of the stores display some of the most exquisite and ornate gowns I've ever seen. Rumor is when getting together for their frequent all girl parties, ( when they are finally free to dress without covering) they dress in ornate and often risqué clothing. I've yet to see this for myself, not being acquainted with a single Saudi female.



After finding some adorable sweaters and t-shirts, (8 for $65) we headed to a grocery store I'd never been to, Al Raya. The produce was the best we've seen to date, and I almost flipped out when we spotted blueberries and blackberries, the first I've seen since being here. But imagine my greater surprise (and delight!) to discover they were Driscoll's! My Cali friends know how exciting this is for me. I spent the first almost 25 years of my life not far from from Driscoll's Farm in Watsonville, CA. Though they were almost $7 a pkg, we gladly bought 4 pkgs! What a treat they were and what a welcome taste of home, all the way on the other side of the world! So glad to be a Cali girl!!:)


We also picked up this amazingly exotic looking fruit I've had before in the States. My hairdresser had let me try them a while ago and they're delicious. (Shout out to A!) Can't remember what they're called but they're sweet with a hint of tang, and the fruit has a consistency similar to the inside of a firm grape. You have to peel the spiny part off to get to the fruit. Yummm!!




The mall also had an amazing little amusement park on the third floor, but they don't open til later in the day.







All in all, a great day!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi world! I'd love to hear your feedback. I ask you to make your comments thoughtfully. Thanks!