Pages


Friday, July 19, 2013

Khamis Mushayt

So now ya'all know the why, next, the where.  Our ending destination and home for the next however long is Khamis Mushayt. The largest city in the Asir Province, it has an estimated population of close to 600,000 people.  (Yes Wikipedia, once again I defer to your knowledge and acknowledge you as the supreme expert!)

The Asir region is set on a high plateau and contains the highest mountains, the Asir Mountains.  Because of its elevation, it gets 10-20 inches of rainfall a year and has two distinctly rainy seasons, averaging March and August. Temperatures can reach into the 90's, with evening and overnight temps that can get into the 50's and 60's.  This region often sees periods of heavy fog as well. Because of its drastically cooler weather and areas of lush vegetation, Asir has become a popular vacation destination with Saudis from hotter areas. Asir National Park is the first national park in Saudi.
For more, see: http://www.splendidarabia.com/location/asir/asir_national_park/



And that's about it. No, really. It is amazing the almost complete lack of information that's available about our new home. Hours spent scouring the Internet yields very little, or the same tired info copied time and again from one website to the next. So now I do my part and pass that info to you, keeping the chain of vague and incomplete info going. What I do know: The capital city of the Asir province is Abha, home to an international airport (with 1 hr flights to the seaside and more liberal city of Jeddah and 2 1/2 hr flights to Dubai) only a 30 minutes drive from Khamis. More importantly, that city has a Toys R Us and, wait for it...a STARBUCKS, that blessed Java-haven for the caffeine differently-abled. The day I found that out, I closed my eyes, sent a silent prayer up towards the heavens, thanking Him for His infinite mercy, and smiled to myself. What more does one need? So it'll be a long round-trip drive. I'll be in the backseat, drinking a tall, half-shot vanilla mocha while my driver navigates the chaotic streets. Don't judge:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi world! I'd love to hear your feedback. I ask you to make your comments thoughtfully. Thanks!